Board logo

Sierra Tripode Location
SyKaTurbo - 1/11/07 at 02:31 PM

Lets say some idiot took all his cv's to pieces some time ago but didnt mark the location of the tripodes on his shafts.

Doesn anyone know how they should sit in relation to each other on the ends. Do they line up or maybe site 60degress out? Any ideas.

Thanks in advance
Mr Idiot!

nick205 - 1/11/07 at 02:45 PM

hehehe - another idiot like me

I did just the same when I overhauled and fitted new CV boots. I reassebled them without paying any attention to how the ends aligned relative to each other and they ended up different on both dirveshafts. I also forgot to re-fit one of the plastic spacer/spring seat cups to one of them too

I couldn't be arsed to strip them again and decided it would be OK. So far I've covered 2300 miles this year without any problems at all and no noise either. I suspect it makes little difference in practice, particularly in view of the overall number of miles you'll be doing in a 7.

Fit them to the car and carry on would be my advice. Unless anything goes wrong of course

MikeRJ - 1/11/07 at 06:00 PM

This is important with universal joints due to the speed variation when running at an angle. By definition CV joints run at constant speed, so phasing between two joints should be of no consequence.

Humbug - 1/11/07 at 06:15 PM

Is this idiot related to you?

Hellfire - 1/11/07 at 07:52 PM

LOL We did the exact same thing on the driveshafts we took apart. Even Ford couldn't offer us any advice about how they should line up, so we just assembled them as we thought best. Had no problems with them since whatsoever.

Phil

vyperstrype - 1/11/07 at 08:28 PM

Does it not tell you the alignment in the Haynes workshop manual.

Hellfire - 1/11/07 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vyperstrype
Does it not tell you the alignment in the Haynes workshop manual.

Unfortunately not. (I'm gonna look a tw@t if it does........... )

Phil

nick205 - 5/11/07 at 01:47 PM

Didn't say in my copy of the Haynes book (hastily flicks through to check) either

saigonij - 5/11/07 at 02:24 PM

eh, whats this now?

i thought you just shoved the CV joint back on the end of the shaft????

re-aligning whats it now?