Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making an airbag-equipped steering wheel IVA compliant?
adrianreeve

posted on 1/5/24 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Making an airbag-equipped steering wheel IVA compliant?

I plan to use the OEM steering wheel for my MX5 based Haynes Roadster - how do people go about making it IVA compliant? I’ve removed the airbag, but that obviously leaves a big hole inside the airbag case - do I need to fill it with foam or something? Guess I have to remove the airbag text from the cover too?

Thanks

Adrian

[Edited on 1/5/24 by adrianreeve]

40inches

posted on 1/5/24 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I disarmed mine, and that was it. No mention at IVA.
nick205

posted on 2/5/24 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Never done this (or even considered it).

I'd imagine if it's "disarmed" (as in the explosive charge can't be set off) it would be OK.

Next step would be to remove the explosive charge and probably the airbag itself. I'd think very carefully about doing it, to avoid potential injury.

I did SVA (forerunner to IVA) many moons ago. I don't remember being able to contact the test centre to ask questions like that though.

Does the IVA manual offer any guidance?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 8/5/24 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'd imagine if it's "disarmed" (as in the explosive charge can't be set off) it would be OK.

Next step would be to remove the explosive charge and probably the airbag itself. I'd think very carefully about doing it, to avoid potential injury.

Exactly this.... the airbag will be triggered by an electrical signal upon impact, so by disconnecting it from any current source, you've essentially taken away the firing pin. BUT, similar to a lifejacket, it will still be "armed" and could still potentially activate (chances are very, very slim - but never zero). I'd investigate how the airbag itself could be dismantled or the gas canister removed to avoid the risk. Can't comment of if or how this may even be possible, but it would be my approach....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

FEZ1025

posted on 9/5/24 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Undo the 2x 10mm screws holding the centerpiece in, put it to one side for 30 minutes (JIC) then flip it over, using a flat screwdriver prize the little round tabs off & remove the explosive part, throw in open fire or apply 12V to the wires NO!! JOKE!! Do not do that part.

But once that bit is off, you can then remove the bag itself easily, I have always then used a soldering iron to remove the word Airbag from the front of the pad, however the last 2 IVA's I was told that wasn't needed, but that might just have been my inspector & I still would.

[Edited on 9-5-2424 by FEZ1025]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.