Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chris' Haynes Build
christim

posted on 14/5/24 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
As posted elsewhere my IVA is now booked for 12th July, so countdown is really on!

a few things to finish off....I've 3d printed and fitted new rear light mounts (added a 7 degree horizontal angle so they point directly backwards)

I've fitted trim between the bonnet/scuttle

I've drilled new side repeater holes in the headlight units so they now comply with the IVA manual (5 degree vertical visibility). I've disconnected the lower ones so they don't blink...again IVA requirement that only 1 set of side repeaters are fitted.

An upgrade to my 3d printer...I treated myself to a laser cutter. Designed and etched this manufacturer's plate, 'Roadster' logo pulled from the book.
The name and VIN have also been etched in using the laser

With that all done in theory I'm ready for IVA! Been out a few times though (on private road not public highways ) and have some issues to sort:

• It was squealing when getting warm, which meant an air leak to the manifold. I found when I disconnected the crankcase breather/rocker cover breather pipes it stopped (they were connected to the vacuum side of the inlet as per OEM design). To fix this I removed the pipe from the catch can to the inlet and blanked it off. This effectively blocked off the breather pipes though and the pressure built up in the crankcase and has blown a hole in the crankcase breather gasket, so oil everywhere I'll need to fix this.
I'm going to add a filter to the catch can so venting to atmosphere
While I'm fixing that I'm also bringing forward what was going to be a 'future upgrade' and getting a raceline sump

• When taking foot off the accelerator the engine wasn't going back to idle. I thought this was the control valve being the wrong way round. I 3d-printed a new IAVC mount so the tubes were reversed and refitted the valve but found it was worse. I think the idling issue was also because of the breather pipes being routed into the inlet (not sure why, as again this would be how they're routed normally). So back to original design for idle control valve. (BTW....not all idle control valves flow in the same direction! seems 99% flow opposite to the ones fitted to a 1999 2.0 Mondeo. I wish they'd put arrows on them showing airflow direction!)

• The rear brakes lock before the front. The front brakes have always been a problem (even after several bleeds): too soft, bleed nipples needing to be excessively tight before it stops leaking, etc. I'm upgrading to Wilwood Powerlites - got the kit from RallyDesign and ready to fit

• I tried setting the speedo (Smiths Electronic) but it doesn't pick up the pulses until I hit about 20mph. I've currently got the ECU wire wired up to it, and the original donor electronic speed sensor from the type 9 gearbox wired to the ECU. I'll need to play around with some options...maybe wire the speed sensor directly to the speedo, maybe run a separate feed from the manual speedo hole on the opposite side of the gearbox

Any opinions or experience on the above issues welcome!

My Build Thread

<<  3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.