Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weber 40 / 45 DCOE question
r1_pete

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Weber 40 / 45 DCOE question

OK this might be a dumb ass question, but what is the difference between 40's and 45's? I understood it was the carb bore.

But looking for a zetec manifold for 40's most appear to be for 40's and 45's, so if the bore is different by 5mm the manifolds can't really be suitable for both types.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
No expert here, but both 40 and 45 dcoe have removable choke tubes - my 45s have 35 or 36mm chokes.

Smaller chokes = more low down torque but less top end power.

Bigger chokes = more top end power but less low end torque.

40dcoe carbs will have a power limit due to the amount of air/fuel mixture flow rate.

45dcoe carbs will have a much higher max flow rate therefore will be able to fuel a higher power engine.

I am prepared to be shot down here but I believe the function of the two carbs is much the same.

flak monkey

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
You are quite right. The manifolds are usually around 40mm bore, they need to be matched to 45's if you are being picky. The diameter refers to that of the butterfly.

45's will drink more fuel and be able to give you a bit more top end power as you can fit bigger chokes. But you can equally over carb an engine and make the car a pain to drive at low revs. A 2litre engine is on the brink of the 40/45 changeover.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Canada EH!

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Size of the bore at the manifold end, both carbs have interchangable chokes.
The 45 will take bigger chokes as will a 48 or 50.

big_wasa

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yep my manifold had been "matched" to my 45's
Danozeman

posted on 7/1/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
The cheaper manifolds are about 43mm so will cover both 40's and 45's.

I have seen some that suposidly cover 40 45 and 48's.

You dont ideally want a 43mm manifold for 45's but tbh unless your going for every bit of power you can you probably wont really notice the difference.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

02GF74

posted on 7/1/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
wot FM says but I am not sure it follows that a larger carb will drink more petrol.

I would have thought this was a feature of the jets and choke diameter selection?

The number 40/45 is the bore through the carb and a choke, whose outer diamter is this dimension, fits into the bore to reduce the area through which the air flows.

From memory, there is a bit of overlap in the choke size between successive carb models i.e. a 45 could be fitted with a choke that is smaller than that fitted to a 40.

The choke diameter affects how air flows through the carb - smaller choke creates a larger vacuum which helps to draw and atomise the fuel but it restricts the amount of air at higher rpm so power will drop off. A larger choke has the oppostite effect resulting in poor performance at low rpm.

Juggling the choke size, jetting etc, is a compromise.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/1/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
wot FM says but I am not sure it follows that a larger carb will drink more petrol.

If the larger carbs are TOO large for the engine, accurate calibration is not possible and fuel economy will suffer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.