Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: All loaded up and off to the RR......
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/4/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
All loaded up and off to the RR......

Spent the evening loading up the trailer and Pajero full to the brim with everything I own (just in case) ready for a trip to Atspeed to have the Striker all set up.

Anyone like to share some Rolling Road/Tuning session stories?

whitestu

posted on 5/4/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've been toying with the idea of taking mine to Atspeed. Let us know how it goes.
Stu

will121

posted on 5/4/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
have you seen and heard a car before when on a RR? at first it sounds like reving the nuts of it, enough to cringe but really its no more than you may drive it on a spirited drive or trackday but normally you leave all the noise behind you!! its like having a first baby waiting to see the final mapped power run results.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/4/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I've been toying with the idea of taking mine to Atspeed. Let us know how it goes.
Stu

will do stu.

nervous about the 'revving the nuts of it' part, i have a lot of mechanical sympathy. I feel her pain

I'm sure they know what they're doing

mark chandler

posted on 5/4/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed my day.

Stick on some tough old tyres, slicks will melt on the RR so if you have these remove.

I have megasquirt, took my laptop with the application loaded so saved a bit of time on setup as he used my PC to tune with.

Power runs are great, he started off gently then floored it and watch the graph climb, the chaps in the shop were interested as not many BEC's seen there then took the pee out of one who had a newish subura as my little blade engine made more power.

Its interesting as you see them gently twiddle a few points and the BHP just keeps climbing, well worth the money as everything is better now, starting, torque and power.

As my engine is old it puffed a bit on the overrun, watching the turbo start to glow is pretty cool as well

norfolkluego

posted on 5/4/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Stu

will do stu.

nervous about the 'revving the nuts of it' part, i have a lot of mechanical sympathy. I feel her pain

Not with my car you don't

Have a good day, let me know how you get on

austin man

posted on 5/4/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
heard a zetec rev to 8.5 k nearly shat me pants it did manage 199.2 bhp, nephew just had his zetec turbo mapped running at 260bhp he had to stop the power run due to pinking turns out the plgs cant stand the heat and started to melt. Hes looking for better plugs the engine should be capable of 300bhp so a little dissapointed

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

lsdweb

posted on 5/4/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I watched my single seater bouncing up and down on the rollers at 13k RPM and had to walk away!

Wyn

RazMan

posted on 5/4/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
My first time was full of excitement. Firstly the car was strapped down so tightly to the rollers that the driveshafts were at quite a steep angle and the cheap CV boots exploded, showering everyone watching with black CV grease (satan's snot). Note to self - use the best CV boots you can find

During my final power run the exhaust manifolds were running BRIGHT RED - I actually thought they were melting!

All in all, quite a memorable experience.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed1801

posted on 6/4/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
It is pretty scary watching something you have created have the nuts revved off it.

My rolling road was a fail as the range rover p38 pump i used couldn't supply enough juice after about 5k rpm flat out (pressure in rail dropped out, either high resistance wiring (was running off the original 15 amp cable, or pump not big enough). Still made 150 at the wheels at that. Now got a walbro 255 installed on 30amp cable and back next week for the final tweaks.

contaminated

posted on 6/4/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I watched my single seater bouncing up and down on the rollers at 13k RPM and had to walk away!

Wyn

Me too! Terrifying - you'll see me make a sharp exit at 4 mins and 6 seconds! I just couldn't watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFRyaPlWV4I

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

bimbleuk

posted on 6/4/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
All my cars bar one have been on the dyno (Proton probably wouldn't have turned the rollers!) but it helps having a friend who owns two in his garage. My daily drive A4 went on there to check the figures and then a diesel chip went on to see the changes. 30% torque and 20% power was pretty much as advertised which was good to see.

Corolla which I owned for 9 years had over 200 runs saved and in that time had 6 different engine configurations. I did eventually get over the cringing though. Most pain is felt during the full mapping sessions where the engine is held at progressively higher RPM from idle to rev cut to check the fueling, ign etc.

No major failures for me in the last 15 years on the dyno the worst being a little water spat out the header tank on my Striker after changing the coolant. For my Striker when the 4AGE with a Rotrex SC reached 1 bar boost at 7000 RPM and was indicating 270 BHP I lost my nerve and asked for the rev limiter to be set at 7200 RPM. I had originally built it to do 8000RPM but never bothered more than enough for me!

Unfortuantely my Ls1 in my RX7 is now going beyond the limits of my firends old SUN dynos so I've only ran that one once at another garage near by.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.